Why Data Science with JCU?
James Cook University’s online Graduate Diploma of Data Science can give you the skills and networks to place you at the forefront of the data science revolution. The JCU Graduate Diploma of Data Science is backed by an Industry Advisory Board, made up of data science and tech leaders from across Australia with extensive experience both domestically and abroad.
100% online & part-time
Fast-track your career with flexible study you can balance around your life. Study one subject at a time wherever and whenever suits you.
Maximise your career outcomes
Gain a qualification from an internationally recognised university and take advantage of career growth in this booming and in-demand industry.
Gain skills the industry needs
Develop skills in a suite of programming languages and software including Python, R Studio and Tableau.
- Develop fundamental skills in data science.
- Open up your career opportunities.
- Gain skills in SAS, Python, R Studio and more.
- Begin the pathway towards a master degree.
- Fast-track your career with 100% online study.
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Advisor.
Learn while you work
Expand your career opportunities in the world of data science
Looking to steer your career to take advantage of the data science revolution? Organisations are continuing to recognise the importance and benefits of research and extensive analysis of raw data. James Cook University’s online Graduate Diploma of Data Science can give you the knowledge to place you at the forefront of this fast-moving information revolution.
Delivered by expert teaching staff with deep academic knowledge and real-world industry and research experience, this course will provide you with cutting-edge knowledge to discover a wealth of new career opportunities.
What you will study
An interdisciplinary approach means you’ll acquire relevant knowledge from across the mathematics, information technology and business domains, delivered by academics with real-world data science experience.
You will study eight online subjects. Subjects can be undertaken across any of the six study periods throughout the year. With up to six subjects on offer per year, you can choose to sit a study period out to suit your changing personal and professional schedule and circumstances.
Want more details about these subjects? Find out more from our course guide.
*Duration dependent on individual study path and subject availability. Please speak to an Enrolment Advisor for more information.
Foundations for Data ScienceThis subject provides an overview of data science as a discipline, as well as an introduction to fundamental aspects of this area. Read more
Statistical Methods for Data ScienceThis subject introduces practical applications and concepts involved in descriptive statistics, inferential statistics and linear modelling. Read more
Data VisualisationThis subject introduces the fundamentals of data visualisation and how it can solve a wide range of practical data interpretation problems. Read more
Database SystemsThis subject provides an introduction to the principles and concepts of database systems and their importance in data science. Read more
Programming and Data Analytics using PythonThis subject introduces fundamental principles and practices of computer programming with Python. Read more
Essential Mathematics for Data ScientistsThis subject provides the essential elements of mathematics required for data scientists. Read more
Introduction to Data MiningThis subject will provide an understanding of a range of widely used algorithms and techniques to automatically extract patterns and models from data. Read more
Visual Analytics for Data Scientists using SASThis subject introduces students to practical applications and concepts involved in advanced statistical modelling in SAS. Read more
- Entry Requirements
- Recognition of Prior Learning
- Learning Outcomes
- Career Outcomes
- Inherent Requirements
JCU's Graduate Diploma of Data Science online welcomes applications from students who are able to meet the following criteria:
- A Bachelor degree, plus high school intermediate level mathematics (basic algebra and differential calculus)*; or at least five years of relevant work experience (high numeracy skills), or;
- A Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline (mathematics, statistics, physics, IT, computer science, engineering); or a Graduate Certificate of Data Science.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
*JCU offers a specified online mathematics subject, which can be completed prior to application if you do not currently meet the mathematical entry requirement level.
Not sure if you meet these entry criteria? Our Enrolment Advisors can assist you.SPEAK WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR
JCU recognises the value of past study and real-world experience. Exemptions or credits for elective subjects will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon submission of verifiable supporting documentation.GET IN TOUCH WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR TO FIND OUT MORE
On successful completion of the Graduate Diploma of Data Science, graduates will be able to:
- Integrate and apply specialised theoretical and technical knowledge in data science and/or contemporary applications of data science
- Retrieve, analyse, synthesise and evaluate knowledge from a range of sources.
- Plan and conduct reliable, efficient analysis of a variety of data by selecting and applying appropriate methods, techniques and tools
- Demonstrate effective applications of appropriately chosen computing languages and computational tools for data acquisition, queries, management, analysis and visualisation
- Identify, analyse and generate solutions to unpredictable or complex problems, especially related to tropical, rural, remote or Indigenous contexts, by applying knowledge and skills of data science and/or its applications with initiative and high-level judgement
- Communicate data concepts and methodologies of data science and/or data science applications clearly and coherently to a variety of audiences through advanced written and oral English language skills and a variety of media
- Critically review general regulatory requirements, ethical principles and, where appropriate, cultural frameworks, to work effectively, responsibly and safely in diverse contexts
- Reflect on current skills, knowledge and attitudes to manage their professional learning needs and performance, autonomously and in collaboration with others
The field of data science continues to grow, and studying a Graduate Diploma of Data Science will give you an edge in this diverse industry. Upon successfully completing a Graduate Diploma of Data Science with JCU, you will have the skills and expertise to succeed in roles like:
- Data Scientist
- Business Analyst
- Data Analyst
You can also choose to continue your studies by completing a Master of Data Science.DOWNLOAD COURSE GUIDE
Inherent requirements are the identified abilities, attributes, skills, and behaviours that must be demonstrated, during the learning experience, to successfully complete a course. These abilities, attributes, skills, and behaviours preserve the academic integrity of the University’s learning, assessment, and accreditation processes, and where applicable, meet the standards of a profession.
All JCU students have the opportunity to demonstrate, with reasonable adjustments where applicable, the inherent requirements for their course.
Nested qualifications: Early entry exit options
JCU’s online Graduate Diploma of Data Science is a pathway towards obtaining a master degree. After completing your graduate diploma, you can continue your studies and gain a Master of Data Science. If you need to finish your study early, you may still qualify for a Graduate Certificate of Data Science. Get in touch with an Enrolment Advisor to find out more.
Your personalised Enrolment Advisor
The role of an Enrolment Advisor is to ensure that you have all the resources and academic support needed to be successful in your studies.
Enrolments Advisors are here to help you with:
- Determining your eligibility for the course.
- Understanding the structure of your course and what you can expect to learn.
- Time management strategies for success.
- How to apply for financial assistance and FEE-HELP.
- Any questions you have about your application.
Contact hours for your Enrolment Advisor
Monday and Tuesday: 8am-6pm (AEST)
Wednesday and Thursday: 8am-7pm (AEST)
Friday: 8am - 5pm (AEST)
You might also be interested in:
Ready to get started?
Download a course guide
For more detailed and up-to-date information about your degree, including:
- Information about the course
- Course duration
- Course descriptions
- What to expect from the course
Speak with an Enrolment Advisor
Investing in the right course for you is important to us and we’re here to help. Simply request a call back and will assist you with:
- Entry requirements
- Choosing right course
- How to apply and enrol
- How online study works
- Course duration and fees