Why Data Science with JCU?
James Cook University’s online Graduate Certificate of Data Science will give you immediately applicable data science skills. The JCU Graduate Certificate of Data Science is backed by an Industry Advisory Board, made up of data science and tech leaders from across Australia with extensive experience both domestically and abroad.
100% online & part-time
Fast-track your career with flexible study you can balance around your life. Study one subject at a time wherever and whenever suits you.
Qualifications that count
Build on your success with a postgraduate qualification that helps propel your entry to the big data sphere.
Gain skills the industry needs
Develop skills in a suite of programming languages and software including SAS, R Studio and Tableau.
- Develop fundamental skills in data science.
- Open up your career opportunities.
- Gain skills in SAS, Python, R Studio and more.
- Begin the pathway towards a master degree.
- Fast-track your career with 100% online study.
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Advisor.
Learn while you work
Expand your career opportunities in the world of data science
Looking to embrace the data science revolution as part of your job specification or steer your career in a whole new direction? Organisations of all kinds continue to recognise and explore the insights and advantages linked to extensive analysis of raw data. The global business and research sectors offer a wealth of opportunity to professionals who hold an understanding of the applications of data analytics through career growth, new role creation and recruitment.
James Cook University’s online Graduate Certificate of Data Science is a fast way to gain the foundational knowledge you need to maximise opportunities in a data-driven world. Delivered by expert teaching staff with deep academic knowledge and real-world industry experience, the program of study will provide you with current knowledge that will be the catalyst for a wealth of new career opportunities.
What you will study
You will study four subjects while you complete your Graduate Certificate of Data Science. An interdisciplinary approach means you’ll acquire relevant knowledge from across the mathematics, information technology and business domains, delivered by academics with deep experience in research and business.
Want more details about these subjects? Find out more from our course guide.
*Duration dependent on individual study path and subject availability. Please speak to an Enrolment Advisor for more information.
Foundations for Data ScienceThis subject provides an overview of data science as a discipline, as well as an introduction to fundamental aspects of this area. Read more
Statistical Methods for Data ScienceThis subject introduces practical applications and concepts involved in descriptive statistics, inferential statistics and linear modelling. Read more
Data VisualisationThis subject introduces the fundamentals of data visualisation and how it can solve a wide range of practical data interpretation problems. Read more
Database SystemsThis subject provides an introduction to the principles and concepts of database systems and their importance in data science. Read more
- Entry Requirements
- Recognition of Prior Learning
- Learning Outcomes
- Career Outcomes
- Inherent Requirements
The JCU Graduate Certificate of Data Science welcomes applications from students who are able to meet the following criteria:
- A Bachelor degree, plus high school intermediate level mathematics (basic algebra and differential calculus)*; or at least five years of relevant work experience (high numeracy skills)
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
*JCU offers a specified online mathematics subject, which can be completed prior to application if you do not currently meet the mathematical entry requirement level.
Not sure if you meet these entry criteria? Our Enrolment Advisors can assist you.SPEAK WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR
JCU recognises the value of past study and real world experience. Exemptions or credits for subjects will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon submission of verifiable supporting documentation.GET IN TOUCH WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR TO FIND OUT MORE
On successful completion of the Graduate Certificate of Data Science, graduates will be able to:
- Critically describe specialised theoretical and technical knowledge in data science.
- Retrieve, analyse, synthesise and evaluate knowledge from a range of sources.
- Plan and conduct reliable, efficient analysis of data by applying relevant methods, techniques and tools with some guidance.
- Demonstrate effective applications of nominated computing languages and computational tools for data queries, management, analysis and visualisation
- Identify and generate solutions to unpredictable problems, especially related to tropical, rural, remote or Indigenous contexts, by applying knowledge and skills of data science with high-level judgement.
- Communicate fundamental data concepts and methodologies of data science clearly and coherently to a variety of audiences through advanced written and oral English language skills and a variety of media.
- Critically review general regulatory requirements, ethical principles and, where appropriate, cultural frameworks, to work effectively, responsibly and safely in diverse contexts
- Reflect on current skills, knowledge and attitudes to manage their professional learning needs and performance, autonomously and in collaboration with others.
The field of data science continues to grow, and studying a Graduate Certificate of Data Science will give you an edge in this diverse industry. Upon successfully completing a Graduate Certificate of Data Science with JCU, you will have the skills and expertise to succeed in roles like:
- Data Scientist
- Business Analyst
- Data Analyst
You can also choose to continue your studies by completing a Graduate Diploma or Master of Data Science.DOWNLOAD COURSE GUIDE
Inherent requirements are the identified abilities, attributes, skills, and behaviours that must be demonstrated, during the learning experience, to successfully complete a course. These abilities, attributes, skills, and behaviours preserve the academic integrity of the University’s learning, assessment, and accreditation processes, and where applicable, meet the standards of a profession.
All JCU students have the opportunity to demonstrate, with reasonable adjustments where applicable, the inherent requirements for their course.
Nested qualifications: Early entry exit options
JCU’s online Graduate Certificate of Data Science is a pathway towards obtaining a master degree. After completing your graduate certificate, you can continue your studies and gain a Graduate Diploma or Master of Data Science. Get in touch with an Enrolment Advisor to find out more.
Your personalised Enrolment Advisor
The role of an Enrolment Advisor is to ensure that you have all the resources and academic support needed to be successful in your studies.
Enrolments Advisors are here to help you with:
- Determining your eligibility for the course.
- Understanding the structure of your course and what you can expect to learn.
- Time management strategies for success.
- How to apply for financial assistance and FEE-HELP.
- Any questions you have about your application.
Contact hours for your Enrolment Advisor
Monday and Tuesday: 8am-6pm (AEST)
Wednesday and Thursday: 8am-7pm (AEST)
Friday: 8am - 5pm (AEST)
You might also be interested in:
Ready to get started?
Download a course guide
For more detailed and up-to-date information about your degree, including:
- Information about the course
- Course duration
- Course descriptions
- What to expect from the course
Speak with an Enrolment Advisor
Investing in the right course for you is important to us and we’re here to help. Simply request a call back and will assist you with:
- Entry requirements
- Choosing right course
- How to apply and enrol
- How online study works
- Course duration and fees