Why Nursing at JCU?
James Cook University’s online Graduate Certificate of Nursing will give you the boost you need to achieve your professional goals in today’s fast-paced healthcare system.
100% online & part-time
Fast-track your career with flexible study you can balance around your life. Study one subject at a time and complete your degree in only 8 months part-time.
Choose your career pathway
Choose to specialise in either advanced practice, education or leadership and management, or combine two and graduate with a double major.
One of Australia’s Top 10 Nursing Schools
JCU is one of the top 10 nurse educators in Australia. You’ll study and connect with industry leaders, specialists and experienced nurse academics.
- Choose from three in-demand specialisations.
- Transform your practice and improve your clinical skillset.
- Develop key skills to help you succeed in clinical contexts.
- Fast-track your career with 100% online study.
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Advisor.
- Begin the pathway to a master degree.
Make Your Mark on Nursing
Want to make your mark on nursing? JCU’s online Graduate Certificate of Nursing will help prepare you for the healthcare system of tomorrow.
Australia's healthcare landscape is changing. Governments, industry and healthcare providers are working smarter to meet rising costs coupled with the increasing demand on our health system.
You’ll develop advanced knowledge and specialist skills in your chosen nursing field. You’ll be able to take on nursing leadership roles in your area of practice, receive increased professional recognition and boost your potential to seize new opportunities in your nursing career.
To complete your online Graduate Certificate of Nursing, choose from one of three majors: Leadership and Management, Education or Advanced Practice, so you can shape your study to suit your own career path.
JCU offers subjects from Ethics and Health Management to Clinical Coaching, so you can focus on areas that will help put you on your best career path.
Want more details about these subjects? Find out more from our course guide.
Leading and Managing in HealthThis subject explores foundational concepts of leadership and management in diverse healthcare settings and geographic locations. Read more
Ethics and Health ManagementThis subject examines ethical principles and theories, exploring how managers may apply these in a healthcare context. Read more
Effective Clinical Governance
Principles of Education for the Health ProfessionalThis subject introduces the most prominent theories in adult learning and the ways in which they can be applied to a healthcare setting. Read more
Teaching in Practice SettingsThis subject focuses on the application of key theories and specific strategies related to teaching for health professionals in the clinical setting. Read more
Clinical CoachingThis subject explores the knowledge required in clinical coaching and how to use specific strategies related to healthcare contexts. Read more
Quality Use of Medicines in PracticeThis subject explores pharmacology and principles relevant to the quality use of medicines in practice. Read more
Effective Clinical Governance
Advanced Health AssessmentThis subject provides the knowledge and skills required to complete system-specific and comprehensive health histories and physical examinations. Read more
Choose from 1 of 3 principle specialisations or a double major
Advanced Practice: Giving you the skills you need to deliver advanced patient care
Leadership and Management: Giving you the confidence and knowledge to embrace leadership or management positions in healthcare, or
Education: Giving you the ability to take on educational practice roles in clinical or non-clinical environments.
You may also choose to combine two of these specialisations and graduate with a double major.
- Entry Requirements
- Recognition of Prior Learning
- Learning Outcomes
- Career Outcomes
To be eligible to enrol in the online Graduate Certificate of Nursing, applicants must have:
- Completed an AQF Level 7 Bachelor of Nursing, or equivalent qualification, and;
- Registration as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) or Registered Midwife with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) or equivalent registration with the relevant registering authority for applicants outside of Australia;
- Completed a minimum of one year of full-time clinical experience, or the part-time equivalent, as a registered nurse.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 3a – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
Not sure if you meet these entry criteria? Our Enrolment Advisors can assist you.SPEAK WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR
If you have previously studied related subjects that are relevant to this course, you may be eligible to receive credits towards your Graduate Certificate of Nursing, cutting the overall time it could take to complete your qualification.GET IN TOUCH WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR TO FIND OUT MORE
The online Graduate Certificate of Nursing core subjects will provide you with a well-rounded experience, with learning outcomes that focus on:
- Clinical governance and how to apply this framework to contemporary issues in healthcare as well as your own workplace.
- Persuasive communication and how to apply a number of strategies across different healthcare settings.
Depending on your specialisation, after completing your Graduate Certificate of Nursing you will have the skills to succeed in positions such as:
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Clinical Nurse Consultant
- Leadership & Management
- Nurse Unit Manager
- Clinical Teacher
- Nurse Educator
Nested qualifications: Early entry exit options
JCU’s Graduate Certificate of Nursing is a pathway towards obtaining a master degree. After completing your graduate certificate, you can continue your studies and gain a Graduate Diploma of Nursing and a Master of Nursing. Get in touch with an Enrolment Advisor to find out more.