Why Data Science with JCU?
The Internet of Things (IoT) course at JCU Online is a Graduate Diploma giving you the professional skills required in business, government and research.
100% online & part-time
Fast-track your career with flexible study you can balance around your life. Study one subject at a time and complete your degree in as little as 16 months part-time.
Gain specialist knowledge of IoT
Explore the possibilities of smart devices and learn to design, implement and analyse smart systems to drive more insightful business strategies.
Next level skills
Gain the skills relevant to succeed in an increasingly connected world through understanding data, analytics, smart devices and smart ecosystems.
- Gain specialist knowledge in the field of IoT and complex data ecosystems.
- Develop fundamental skills in data science.
- Open up your career opportunities.
- Fast-track your career with 100% online study.
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Advisor.
Learn while you work
Specialise in the growing field of IoT
The Internet of Things (IoT) is revolutionising the way data is collected. By allowing the creation of smarter, more-connected, on-the-ground infrastructure, IoT technology is unlocking the real potential of data in industry and revealing the need for data science specialists. The Boston Consulting Group expects the field of IoT to grow at over 30% a year for the next few years.¹ This rapid expansion is creating unprecedented demand for IoT specialists, and incredible career opportunities as a result.
Our expert teaching staff combine a deep understanding of contemporary IoT knowledge with real-world business and research experience. Our Graduate Diploma of Data Science (IoT) will provide you with cutting-edge knowledge of smart devices, connected networks, sensors, programming languages, tools and platforms, to discover a wealth of new career opportunities.
An interdisciplinary approach gives you relevant knowledge in mathematics, information technology and business domains, as well as specialist knowledge of Networks, Sensors, Programming and Smart Devices.
The Graduate Diploma of Data Science (IoT) is delivered by academics with real-world experience.
The Data Science and IoT course consists of eight subjects delivered 100% online. There are six study periods every year, each seven weeks long. You can either study the subjects in the order they are delivered or, depending on your personal and career demands, sit a subject out and simply complete that subject later in the course.
Want more details about these subjects? Find out more from our course guide.
*Duration dependent on individual study path and subject availability. Please speak to an Enrolment Advisor for more information.
Foundations for Data ScienceThis subject provides an overview of data science as a discipline, as well as an introduction to fundamental aspects of this area. Read more
Database SystemsThis subject provides an introduction to the principles and concepts of database systems and their importance in data science. Read more
IoT Communication SystemsThis subject is a practical introduction to the Internet of Things (IoT) with a focus on the communication technology that makes IoT possible. Read more
Statistical Methods for Data ScienceThis subject introduces practical applications and concepts involved in descriptive statistics, inferential statistics and linear modelling. Read more
IoT Edge DevicesThis subject provides a hands-on introduction to sensors and the embedded computing systems that drive them. Read more
Introduction to Data MiningThis subject will provide an understanding of a range of widely used algorithms and techniques to automatically extract patterns and models from data. Read more
Data VisualisationThis subject introduces the fundamentals of data visualisation and how it can solve a wide range of practical data interpretation problems. Read more
IoT Security and Cloud ComputingThis subject examines the security of IoT systems as well as the implementation of cloud-based data storage and analytics. Read more
This Graduate Diploma gives you the specialist skills to create the end-to-end data ecosystems that redefine the way the world works and interacts. From human-centric smart devices to large infrastructural smart networks, you’ll gain the skills to grow your career in a rapidly expanding field.
- Entry Requirements
- Recognition of Prior Learning
- Learning Outcomes
- Career Outcomes
- Inherent Requirements
JCU Online's Graduate Diploma of Data Science (IoT) welcomes applications from students who meet the following criteria:
- A Bachelor degree, plus high school intermediate level mathematics (basic algebra and differential calculus)*; or at least five years of relevant work experience (high numeracy skills), or;
- A Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline (mathematics, statistics, physics, IT, computer science, engineering); or a Graduate Certificate of Data Science.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
*JCU offers a specified online mathematics subject, which can be completed prior to application if you do not currently meet the mathematical entry requirement level.
Not sure if you meet these entry criteria? Our Enrolment Advisors can assist you.SPEAK WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR
JCU recognises the value of past study and real-world experience. Exemptions or credits for elective subjects will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon submission of verifiable supporting documentation.GET IN TOUCH WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR TO FIND OUT MORE
On successful completion of the Graduate Diploma of Data Science, graduates will be able to:
- Integrate and apply specialised theoretical and technical knowledge in data science and/or contemporary applications of data science
- Retrieve, analyse, synthesise and evaluate knowledge from a range of sources.
- Plan and conduct reliable, efficient analysis of a variety of data by selecting and applying appropriate methods, techniques and tools
- Demonstrate effective applications of appropriately chosen computing languages and computational tools for data acquisition, queries, management, analysis and visualisation
- Identify, analyse and generate solutions to unpredictable or complex problems, especially related to tropical, rural, remote or Indigenous contexts, by applying knowledge and skills of data science and/or its applications with initiative and high-level judgement
- Communicate data concepts and methodologies of data science and/or data science applications clearly and coherently to a variety of audiences through advanced written and oral English language skills and a variety of media
- Critically review general regulatory requirements, ethical principles and, where appropriate, cultural frameworks, to work effectively, responsibly and safely in diverse contexts
- Reflect on current skills, knowledge and attitudes to manage their professional learning needs and performance, autonomously and in collaboration with others
IoT is revolutionising the way data is used across the world, creating an abundance of exciting career opportunities. Upon successfully completing a Graduate Diploma of Data Science (IoT) with JCU, you will have the skills and expertise to succeed in roles like:
- Computer Network & Systems Engineer
- Program Developer
- Software & Applications Programmer
- Engineering Manager
The Australian government is a champion of the Industry 4.0 paradigm, which envisions an IoT-driven fourth industrial revolution. This creates career opportunities in industries like manufacturing, healthcare, electronics, finance, energy and more.DOWNLOAD COURSE GUIDE
Inherent requirements are the identified abilities, attributes, skills, and behaviours that must be demonstrated, during the learning experience, to successfully complete a course. These abilities, attributes, skills, and behaviours preserve the academic integrity of the University’s learning, assessment, and accreditation processes, and where applicable, meet the standards of a profession.
All JCU students have the opportunity to demonstrate, with reasonable adjustments where applicable, the inherent requirements for their course.
Nested qualifications: Early entry exit options
JCU’s online Graduate Diploma of Data Science (IoT) is a pathway towards obtaining a master degree. After completing your graduate diploma, you can continue your studies and gain a Master of Data Science. If you need to finish your study early, you may still qualify for a Graduate Certificate of Data Science. Get in touch with an Enrolment Advisor to find out more.
The role of an Enrolment Advisor is to ensure that you have all the resources and academic support needed to be successful in your studies.
Enrolments Advisors are here to help you with:
- Determining your eligibility for the course.
- Understanding the structure of your course and what you can expect to learn.
- Time management strategies for success.
- How to apply for financial assistance and FEE-HELP.
- Any questions you have about your application.
Contact hours for your Enrolment Advisor
Monday and Tuesday: 8am-6pm (AEST)
Wednesday and Thursday: 8am-7pm (AEST)
Friday: 8am - 5pm (AEST)