Subject code: NS5344:03
The aim of this subject is to gain knowledge in clinical coaching and use specific strategies related to healthcare contexts. It is envisaged that undertaking this subject will contribute to the professional development, knowledge base and performance of those involved in clinical coaching.
Specifically, you will develop a personal coaching portfolio, engage in reflective practice and explore clinical coaching techniques to facilitate learning. Strategies for managing the learner within the clinical context will be explored. You will also have the opportunity to design, implement and evaluate a clinical coaching assessment tool for use in their clinical coaching sessions.
You will explore the following topics:
- Clinical coaching
- Coaching strategies for nurses and midwives
- Evaluating clinical coaching
- Teaching and coaching portfolios
- Managing complex situations and conflict
- Assessment, feedback, and evaluation of learners.
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Describe the philosophy and purpose of the clinical coaching role
- Prepare a coaching portfolio and reflect on professional development in this role
- Examine strategies to facilitate learning in the clinical setting and manage challenging coaching situations
- Discuss assessment, feedback and evaluation in relation to clinical coaching
- Design and implement a tool to evaluate a clinical coaching experience.
Discussion task (due week 1): 10%
Development of clinical coaching tool (due week 3): 20%
Evaluation of clinical coaching experience (due week 5): 30%
Clinical coaching portfolio (due week 7): 40%
This subject is part of the Nurse Education major in the online Master of Nursing.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your JCU Online student advisor on 1300 535 919 for more information based on your particular circumstances.