Subject code: NS5339:03
In this subject, you will explore the development of clinical governance and apply principles of this framework to contemporary issues in your own healthcare workplace.
The goal of any healthcare governance framework is to enhance client care through transparent, high-quality individual and organisational behaviour. As a participant in a healthcare organisation, the subject will provide you with the opportunity to design and develop a plan of action for a project that will be used to improve client care.
You will explore the following topics:
- Defining clinical governance
- Applying clinical governance in daily healthcare practice
- Identifying and exploring the barriers to the implementation of clinical governance
- Clinical governance and the law
- Education and training for clinical governance
- The future of clinical governance for healthcare.
Upon successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Evaluate and apply the general principles of governance and professional responsibility relevant to the healthcare manager’s role
- Critically analyse implications of change, complexity, and ambiguity on health and work practices
- Define and apply clinical governance in relation to the provision of high standards of quality and safety in healthcare
- Describe the relationship between principles of governance and legislature.
Reflective paper (due week 2): 30%
Poster (due week 5): 20%
Negotiated project (due week 7): 50%.
This subject forms part of the Advanced Practice, Leadership and Management and Nurse Education majors in the online Master of Nursing.
Please note, course structure and content are subject to change. For information on all course subjects download the course guide.