Subject code: NS5338:03
This subject examines ethical principles and theories and explores how managers may apply these in a healthcare context. It also considers the role of professional codes of ethics and formal statements of human rights in the determination of ethically acceptable practice. The focus is on the application of ethical theory to everyday issues encountered by managers in health care settings to promote the ethical standing of their own practices and those of others in the workplace.
- Analyse ethical issues relevant to healthcare managers, drawing on a range of established ethical theories
- Reflect on personal ethical philosophies as they apply to healthcare management contexts
- Apply ethical theories and principles to relevant healthcare management contexts
- Conduct health service management functions in ways that are ethically and professionally defensible, and that take into account formal statements of human rights and professional codes of ethics
- Describe ways of creating and promoting an ethical workplace.
Test/Quiz (unweighted mandatory assessment)
Presentation (oral) 40%
Case study analysis 50%
Reflection/reflective task 10%
This subject is part of the Leadership and Management major in the online Master of Nursing.
Please note, course structure and content are subject to change. For information on all course subjects download the course guide.