Subject code: NS5339:03
Explore the foundational concepts applicable to leadership and management in diverse healthcare settings and geographic locations. Contextualising the application of relevant theories and strategies within your own workplace will be a major focus of this subject, with the aim of extending and enhancing leadership and management skills of the student.
Key topics include workforce management; change management; quality enhancement; strategic and operational planning; interpretation of multi-source data to make decisions; and practical approaches to promote professional resilience while functioning effectively in the role of a healthcare leader and manager.
You will explore the following topics:
- Being a manager and leader
- Communication strategies in management
- The big picture – understanding strategic planning and change
- Leading in the right direction
- Managing yourself
- The highs and lows of leadership.
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Critically analyse major theories of leadership that apply to a healthcare context
- Apply advanced communication strategies for potentially challenging conversations and relationships relevant to a healthcare context
- Incorporate principles of quality enhancement, change management and resource management to develop recommendations for sustainable improvements in service delivery within their own workplace
- Reflect on and articulate strategies for enhanced effectiveness, resilience and fulfillment in the role of healthcare manager.
Reflective paper (due week 2): 30%
Service improvement proposal (due week 4): 40%
Case study (due week 6): 30%
This subject is part of the Leadership and Management major in the online Master of Nursing.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your JCU Online student advisor on 1300 535 919 for more information based on your particular circumstances.