Subject code: NS5341:03
Discover the tools and skills needed to assume effective business and financial management functions. Healthcare is a business, and health managers must be able to manage their units in a fiscally appropriate way.
You will explore the following topics:
- Building, understanding and monitoring budgets
- Accounting tools
- Capital investment management
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Identify challenges for financial managers in a healthcare context
- Explore the types of budgets used in healthcare settings
- Apply the principles of financial information and control to healthcare administration
- Demonstrate an understanding of key accounting principles, terms and language
- Analyse and interpret the information contained in basic financial statements to draw conclusions about financial performance, financial position, liquidity, and risk of firms in the healthcare sector.
Assessment for this course will occur at various times across the seven-week study period. Tasks may include online quizzes, discussion board activities, portfolio development, case studies, reflection, literature reviews, presentations and reports. Feedback will be provided to you throughout the study period as well as a final grade at the conclusion of the study period.
This subject is part of the Leadership and Management major in the online Master of Nursing.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your JCU Online student advisor on 1300 535 919 for more information based on your particular circumstances.