Subject code: MA5830:03
We have entered the era of big data. The ability to take data - to be able to understand it, to process it, to extract value from it, to visualise it, to communicate it- that will be a hugely important skill in the next decades. Data visualisation plays an important role in data science. Data visualisation investigates paradigm and techniques to transform various data into images that effectively and accurately represent information about the data.
This course will introduce students to the fundamentals of data visualisation that focus on how data visualisation can solve a wide range of practical data interpretation problems arising in many applications. It will include the following topics: basic concepts of data visualisation, data representation & abstraction, marks and channels, visualisation design and analysis of techniques, interaction visualisation design, and advanced topics for visualisation. In addition to basic concepts, design approaches and techniques of data visualisation, the course will employ Tableau, one of the most popular commercial data visualisation tools on the market, to analyse, visualise different kinds of data and implement projects.
Software platform: various including
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of the basic theory, principles and concepts that underpin data visualisation techniques and strategies
- Apply related Visualisation principles and approaches to analyse, evaluate and improve visualisation
- Demonstrate effective skills to create interactive visualisation
- Apply storytelling principles for designing and effective communications
- Employ Tableau to analyse and visualise data, and design and implement visualisation projects.
Assessment for this course will occur at various times across the seven-week study period. Tasks may include online quizzes, discussion board activity, portfolio development, case studies, reflection, literature reviews presentations and reports.Feedback will be provided to you throughout the study period as well as a final grade at the conclusion of the study period.
This is one of the interdisciplinary subjects studied in the online Master of Data Science.
Please note, course structure and content are subject to change. For information on all course subjects download the course guide.