Why an MBA Global with JCU?
The increasing complexity of today’s global economy presents opportunities for business leaders who know what to look for. At James Cook University (JCU) our 100% online MBA Global gives you the edge over your competition.
100% online & part-time
Fast-track your career with flexible study you can balance around your life. Study one subject at a time and complete your degree in as little as two years part-time.
3 qualifications in 1
Build towards your masters degree and gain a Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma of Business Administration along the way.
Entry without a Bachelor degree is available
Leverage your relevant work experience to gain entry into the course without a Bachelor degree.
- Learn to drive strategy with a global perspective.
- Be able to make more effective, data-driven decisions.
- Gain stronger business leadership skills.
- Graduate with proof of capability.
- Fast-track your career with 100% online study.
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Advisor.
MBA Global Overview
Enjoy a global, capstone experience
You have the opportunity to finish off your Master’s degree with the Integrated Global Capstone Project. In this project, you will explore the interdependence between business and global issues by developing a research proposal for business leaders. You will identify initiatives to align business strategies with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Observe business leaders from a variety of industries and organisations and interact with your peers - fellow future business leaders - to develop initiatives and solutions to these real world problems. Completion of the Capstone Project will also provide you with a valuable resource for your portfolio.
Over the course of 12 subjects, you’ll gain the skills to make impactful, strategic decisions based on a more holistic view of global trends and data-informed insights.
Our subjects are designed to improve your knowledge across three key areas:
- Global Perspective & Strategies
- Data-driven Decision Making
- Organisational Leadership & Management
Want more details about these subjects? Find out more from our course guide.
*Duration dependent on individual study path and subject availability. Please speak to an Enrolment Advisor for more information.
Multinational Corporations and International MarketsThis subject provides the skills required to work in multinational corporations in mature and emerging markets. Read more
Marketing Strategy, Analytics and DevelopmentThis subject provides a comprehensive understanding of marketing roles and functions within an organisation and the marketplace. Read more
Corporate StrategyThis subject provides the fundamentals of corporate-level strategy. Read more
Corporate FinanceThis subject introduces basic concepts of finance, and establishes a ‘finance mindset’ with value creation as a central concept for financial planning and decision-making. Read more
Data Analysis and Decision ModellingThis subject provides an integrated knowledge for understanding and managing information resources, building basic business intelligence systems, interpreting business statistics and developing practical decision models. Read more
Information Management and Analytics TechnologyThis subject examines the technologies, information and analytics required for the effective management and control of modern firms. Read more
Data Information: Management, Security, Privacy and EthicsThis subject introduces concepts and techniques related to a variety of topics in this area, ranging from database management to data security, privacy and ethics. Read more
Management and Leadership SkillsThis subject explores a variety of core concepts and theories from sociology, psychology and organisational science which form the knowledge base for leadership and management skills. Read more
Venture Capital and EntrepreneurshipThis subject explores the diversity of capital forms and seed funding available to entrepreneurs. Read more
Business Innovation and Technology ManagementThis subject provides a strategic perspective of technology and innovation management and its impact on the competitive positioning of organisations. Read more
Business ConsultingThis subject provides immediately applicable tools for addressing any consulting situation. Read more
Integrated Global Capstone ProjectThis subject requires students to develop a project proposal that encompasses a sustainable future across people, planet and profit. Read more
You will gain practical skills through assessments involving real-world business problems, scenarios, and cases that you can apply immediately to your professional practice, including:
- The assessment in this subject asks you to write a proposal to the CEO of SafetyCulture for a new product or product extension for the firm that fits with its mission. This activity builds and strengthens your own skills set so that you can adapt and apply knowledge and understanding to your own workplaces.
- You are a business consultant running your own independent consultancy business with expertise in financial services. The US-based Gates Foundation has issued an expression of interest for a consultancy project, which would be your first overseas project. You are interested in conducting the project and the Gates Foundation wants to discuss terms with you. In this assessment, you will go through the contract negotiation and signing process, conduct research, and design a basic financial services model to be rolled out by your client. You are also faced with real-world challenges including client concerns and resistance to change, which could threaten your end goal of the project. These activities nurture your own knowledge and understanding so that you are ready to address business consulting activities for your organisation.
- The aim of this assessment is to show how you developed your new entrepreneurial business idea, why it is worth pursuing, and why it is superior to other options available. In subsequent assessments for this subject, you will develop a professional-looking business plan for your idea and present a 3-minute video ‘pitch’ to a potential investor. The skills derived from this activity are critical for you to build your own personal repertoire and confidence in delivering convincing business ideas.
- Through critical analysis of three case studies, you will learn about operations, management and marking in multinational/transnational environments, preparing you for leadership roles in global and glocal organisations. Examples of case studies include McDonalds in Malaysia and the Timarpur Okhla Integrated Municipal Solid Waste Management Project. The case studies touch on universal issues that you can easily correlate to your own workplaces.
- In the main assessment for this subject, you will analyse a ‘wicked problem’ with a view to developing a proposal that can later be used by Cunningham Holdings Limited (CHL) in the design and development of a Leadership Development Program and translated into your own organisation.
- The first part of the assessment for this subject requires you to complete a research report that will include analysis of the company objectives, such as wealth maximisation, profit maximisation, environmental issues, ethical suppliers, employees, gender equality and social responsibility. To provide a real-world focus, the assessment asks you to consider Cunningham Holdings Ltd as they are presently considering two possible 10-year investments at 5% per annum. The second part of this assessment involves using a spreadsheet template to demonstrate your ability to perform and interpret the impact of the time value of money on business decisions, including calculating the present and future values of two cash flow streams, and identifying and justifying which investment should be undertaken. Such activities seek to build skills that you can readily translate into your workplaces.
- Entry Requirements
- Recognition of Prior Learning
- Learning Outcomes
- Career Outcomes
- Inherent Requirements
To be eligible to enrol in the online Master of Business Administration Global, applicants must have:
- Completion of a Bachelor degree in a cognate discipline and two (2) years’ business experience; or
- Completion of an Honours or postgraduate degree in any discipline and two (2) years’ business experience; or
- Four (4) years’ business experience in a managerial role* to the satisfaction of the Course Coordinator; or
- Other qualifications or practical experience recognised by the Dean, College of Business Law and Governance as equivalent to the above.
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
* Applicants must have a minimum of four years full-time equivalent professional work experience in a management, leadership or supervisory level in a business environment or be eligible for a member grade status of a relevant professional organisation. Students will have demonstrable effective management experience relating to organisational behaviour, business, strategy, marketing, economics, communication and people management, supported by a detailed CV and proof of work experience (e.g. a letter from an employer detailing the position and job description).
Not sure if you meet these entry criteria? Our Enrolment Advisors can assist you.SPEAK WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR
The duration of your Online MBA is dependent on your previous education levels and your work. This could reduce the number of subjects you study to gain your Master's degree. Call our Enrolment team to discuss your options.GET IN TOUCH WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR TO FIND OUT MORE
On successful completion of Master of Business Administration Global, graduates will be able to:
- Integrate and apply an advanced body of theoretical and technical knowledge, demonstrating an understanding and awareness of recent developments in one or more business disciplines.
Retrieve, analyse, synthesise and evaluate complex information, concepts and theories from a range of sources.
Apply a range of methods, techniques and tools to plan and conduct business.
Organise, analyse and interpret complex business data using analytical, statistical and digital skills to make informed decisions.
Model and present advanced communication skills to diverse audiences using written and oral English language skills and digital tools.
Identify, analyse and generate solutions to complex problems in global and tropical contexts.
Build effective, resilient and inclusive businesses and communities through innovative and sustainable business practices.
Exercise independent ethical judgement and governance in a variety of business contexts.
Reflect on current skills, knowledge and attitudes to identify and manage professional learning needs and performance, autonomously and in collaboration with others.
Apply knowledge of research principles, methods, techniques and tools to plan and execute a substantial research-based project, capstone experience and/or piece of scholarship.
After completing your MBA Global, you will have the expertise and skills to thrive in positions such as:
- Account Executive
- Business Development Manager
- Finance Manager
- General Manager
- Industry Specialist Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Operations Manager
- Product Manager
- Program Manager
- Sales Manager
The 2019 Graduate Outcomes Survey conducted by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment found undergraduates employed full-time had a median annual salary of $59,500 in comparison with $112,700 earned by postgraduates in Business and Management.DOWNLOAD COURSE GUIDE
Inherent requirements are the identified abilities, attributes, skills, and behaviours that must be demonstrated, during the learning experience, to successfully complete a course. These abilities, attributes, skills, and behaviours preserve the academic integrity of the University’s learning, assessment, and accreditation processes, and where applicable, meet the standards of a profession.
All JCU students have the opportunity to demonstrate, with reasonable adjustments where applicable, the inherent requirements for their course.
Nested qualifications: Early entry exit options
You can also build towards your master’s degree through flexible entry and exit points and ‘qualify as you go’ through our nested qualifications. As you study your MBA Global, you will gain your Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma of Business Administration Global. If you need to finish your study early, you may still qualify for a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma. Get in touch with an Enrolment Advisor to find out more.
The role of an Enrolment Advisor is to ensure that you have all the resources and academic support needed to be successful in your studies.
Enrolments Advisors are here to help you with:
- Determining your eligibility for the course.
- Understanding the structure of your course and what you can expect to learn.
- Time management strategies for success.
- How to apply for financial assistance and FEE-HELP.
- Any questions you have about your application.
Contact hours for your Enrolment Advisor
Monday and Tuesday: 8am-6pm (AEST)
Wednesday and Thursday: 8am-7pm (AEST)
Friday: 8am - 5pm (AEST)