Subject code: CP5804:03
The subject will provide an introduction to the principles and concepts of database systems, and their importance in data science. The relational model and various competing models for database and database query language are introduced and applied. You will develop skills in techniques and tools to model, design and implement a database system using SQL.
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Critically appraise database and database management systems, their features and rationale
- Formulate queries using a database query language
- Develop a database model using the entity-relationship model
- Describe and apply the techniques of normalisation
- Construct a database design to a database management system.
Assessment for this course will occur at various times across the seven-week study period. Tasks may include online quizzes, discussion board activity, portfolio development, case studies, reflection, literature reviews presentations and reports.Feedback will be provided to you throughout the study period as well as a final grade at the conclusion of the study period.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your JCU Online student advisor on 1300 535 919 for more information based on your particular circumstances.