Subject code: CP5804:03
The subject will provide an introduction to the principles and concepts of database systems and their importance in data science. The relational model and various competing models for database, and a database query language are introduced and applied.
Through this subject students will develop skills in techniques and tools to model, design and implement a database system using SQL.
Software platform: SQL, SAS and SAS-SQL
- Critically appraise database and database management systems, their features and rationale
- Formulate queries using a database query language
- Develop a database model using the entity-relationship model
- Describe and apply the techniques of normalisation
- Construct a database design to a database management system.
Assessment for this course will occur at various times across the seven-week study period. Tasks may include online quizzes, discussion board activity, portfolio development, case studies, reflection, literature reviews presentations and reports.Feedback will be provided to you throughout the study period as well as a final grade at the conclusion of the study period.
This is one of the interdisciplinary subjects studied in the online Master of Data Science.
Please note, course structure and content are subject to change. For information on all course subjects download the course guide.