Why Data Science with JCU?
The Master of Data Science (Professional) is for students who want to not only develop their skills in data science, but also graduate with industry experience and connections. The Master of Data Science will allow you to build in-demand skills and develop your portfolio, while the Master of Data Science (Professional) is a four subject extension that will give you more opportunities to gain real world experience while you study. You will achieve this through an additional masterclass and capstone projects, kickstarting your career in data science.
100% online & part-time
Fast-track your career with flexible study you can balance around your life. Study one subject at a time wherever and whenever suits you.
Graduate with proof of capability
Build a portfolio to showcase your newfound capabilities through capstone projects and masterclasses.
Gain skills the industry needs
Develop skills in a suite of programming languages and software including Python, R, Tableau and AWS and study the only online Master of Data Science in Australia to be SAS certified.
- Build a career-ready portfolio through capstone projects and masterclasses.
- Develop fundamental skills in data science.
- Open up your career opportunities.
- Gain skills in SAS, Python, R and more.
- Fast-track your career with 100% online study.
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Advisor.
Learn while you work
Programming languages and software used
Expand your career options and become SAS® Certified
With the rapid expansion of the data science field, and the increased reliance on data in business, government and research, there is a very real demand for data professionals who are able to identify and mine relevant data. JCU’s online Master of Data Science (professional) will give you an edge as a data science with proven capability and real world experience.
You’ll also gain industry-recognised skills - JCU has partnered with SAS®, analytic software provider and leader in Data Science. The Master of Data Science (Professional) will prepare you to become a SAS® Certified Big Data Professional Using SAS®9.
You will study 12 to 16 online subjects, depending on your entry point and recognition of prior learning. There are six subjects offered each year. Study periods are seven weeks long, with new subjects starting every second month. You are able to sit out study periods if your personal or professional circumstances demand.
The Master of Data Science (Professional) is a four subject extension of the Masters program, which gives you a professional portfolio, further proving your data science capabilities. This portfolio is designed to give you the provable experience you might normally expect to work years for, helping you fast track your ambitions. You’ll also have the opportunity to gain real experience in data science by working on industry partnered projects.
An interdisciplinary approach means you’ll acquire relevant knowledge from across the mathematics, information technology and business domains, delivered by experts in research, academia, business and of course, data science. This varied approach delivers a flexible knowledge base and skillset, adding weight to employability.
Want more details about these subjects? Find out more from our course guide.
Foundations for Data ScienceThis subject provides an overview of data science as a discipline, as well as an introduction to fundamental aspects of this area. Read more
Statistical Methods for Data ScienceThis subject introduces practical applications and concepts involved in descriptive statistics, inferential statistics and linear modelling. Read more
Data VisualisationThis subject introduces the fundamentals of data visualisation and how it can solve a wide range of practical data interpretation problems. Read more
Database SystemsThis subject provides an introduction to the principles and concepts of database systems and their importance in data science. Read more
Programming and Data Analytics using PythonThis subject introduces fundamental principles and practices of computer programming with Python. Read more
Essential Mathematics for Data ScientistsThis subject provides the essential elements of mathematics required for data scientists. Read more
Introduction to Data MiningThis subject will provide an understanding of a range of widely used algorithms and techniques to automatically extract patterns and models from data. Read more
Visual Analytics for Data Scientists using SASThis subject introduces students to practical applications and concepts involved in advanced statistical modelling in SAS. Read more
Data Science Master Class 1This subject brings in leaders in the field to report recent advances in data science techniques and/or applications of data science. It will also explore natural language processing (NLP), web scraping and APIs to harvest data with Python. Read more
Advanced Data Management and Analysis using SASThis subject introduces the cutting edge tools and techniques for high-performance and large-scale computing. Read more
Data Science and Strategic Decision MakingThis subject provides integrated knowledge for understanding and managing information resources, building basic business intelligent systems, interpreting business statistics and developing practical decision models. Read more
Data Mining and Machine LearningThis subject provides a range of algorithms based on machine learning techniques for advanced data analysis and mining. Read more
Data and Information: Management, Security, Privacy, and EthicsThis subject introduces concepts and techniques related to a variety of topics in this area, ranging from database management to data security, privacy and ethics. Read more
Data Science Master Class 2This subject develops oral, video and project planning communication skills in conjunction with learning Amazon Web Services (AWS) Sage Maker. Read more
Data Science Project 1
Data Science Project 2
- Entry Requirements
- Recognition of Prior Learning
- Learning Outcomes
- Career Outcomes
- Inherent Requirements
The Master of Data Science welcomes applications from students who are able to meet the following criteria:
- A Bachelor degree (whilst not a prerequisite for entry, high numeracy skills equivalent to senior level mathematics that includes algebra and elementary differential calculus is assumed); OR
- At least five years of relevant work experience in an IT or data science-related industry. Industry experience will need to include some background in computing, data analysis or programming. Application based on relevant industry experience must be supported by a detailed CV and proof of work experience.
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
*JCU offers a specified online mathematics subject, which can be completed prior to application if you do not currently meet the mathematical entry requirement level.
Not sure if you meet these entry criteria? Our Enrolment Advisors can assist you.SPEAK WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR
JCU recognises the value of past study and real-world experience. Exemptions or credits for elective subjects will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon submission of verifiable supporting documentation.GET IN TOUCH WITH AN ENROLMENT ADVISOR TO FIND OUT MORE
On successful completion of the Master of Data Science (Professional), graduates will be able to:
- Integrate and apply an advanced body of practical, technical, and theoretical knowledge, including understanding of recent developments and modern challenges, in Data Science and its application.
- Retrieve, analyse, synthesise and evaluate complex information, concepts, methods, or theories from a range of sources.
- Plan and conduct appropriate investigations of data sets by selecting and applying qualitative and quantitative methods, techniques and tools, as appropriate to the data and the application.
- Analyse requirements, and demonstrate effective applications of appropriate computing languages and computational tools for data acquisition, queries, management, analysis and visualisation.
- Identify, analyse and generate solutions for complex problems, especially related to tropical, regional, or Indigenous contexts, by applying knowledge and skills of data science with initiative and expert judgement.
- Communicate data concepts and methodologies of data science as well as the arguments and conclusions of the application of data science, clearly and coherently to specialist and non-specialist audiences through advanced written and oral English language skills and a variety of media.
- Critically review ethical principles, issues of data security and privacy, and where appropriate regulatory requirements and cultural frameworks to work effectively, responsibly and safely in diverse contexts.
- Reflect on current skills, knowledge and attitudes to manage their professional learning needs and performance, autonomously and/or in collaboration with others.
- Apply knowledge of research principles, methods, techniques and tools to plan and execute a substantial research-based project, capstone experience and/or piece of scholarship.
The field of data science continues to grow, and studying a Master of Data Science (Professional) will give you an edge in this diverse industry. Upon successfully completing a Master of Data Science with JCU, you will have the skills and expertise to succeed in roles like:
- Tech entrepreneur
- Data Scientist
- Business Analyst
- AI Developer
- Machine Learning Specialist
- Data Analyst
- Chief Information Officer
According to Seek, the most common salary for a Data Scientist is $130,000¹. The Talent Data Science & Analytics Market Snapshot & Salary Guide states the most in-demand skills in this field include programming languages like SQL, Python and R, business analytics and machine learning², all of which you will learn in JCU Online’s Master of Data Science.
¹ Seek.com - Data Scientist
² Talent Data Science & Analytics Market Snapshot & Salary Guide.DOWNLOAD COURSE GUIDE
Inherent requirements are the identified abilities, attributes, skills, and behaviours that must be demonstrated, during the learning experience, to successfully complete a course. These abilities, attributes, skills, and behaviours preserve the academic integrity of the University’s learning, assessment, and accreditation processes, and where applicable, meet the standards of a profession.
All JCU students have the opportunity to demonstrate, with reasonable adjustments where applicable, the inherent requirements for their course.
Nested qualifications: Early entry exit options
You can also build towards your master’s degree through flexible entry and exit points and ‘qualify as you go’ through our nested qualifications. As you study your Master of Data Science (Professional), you will gain your Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma of Data Science. If you need to finish your study early, you may still qualify for a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma. Get in touch with an Enrolment Advisor to find out more.
The role of an Enrolment Advisor is to ensure that you have all the resources and academic support needed to be successful in your studies.
Enrolments Advisors are here to help you with:
- Determining your eligibility for the course.
- Understanding the structure of your course and what you can expect to learn.
- Time management strategies for success.
- How to apply for financial assistance and FEE-HELP.
- Any questions you have about your application.
Contact hours for your Enrolment Advisor
Monday and Tuesday: 8am-6pm (AEST)
Wednesday and Thursday: 8am-7pm (AEST)
Friday: 8am - 5pm (AEST)
I started my studies with JCU Online in March 2021, and Brett (Student Success Advisor) has been right beside me from day one. I always feel he’s with me– encouraging me, answering questions, helping me understand the unique processes of your university and reassuring me in a kind and professional way.
When Brett and I speak, I sincerely believe that he hears and understands the very essence of our discussion.
Brett’s work is outstanding, and he should be congratulated for his dedication to his students, excellent communication skills and empathy.
Craig Morgan | Master of Data Science
Doing the JCU Master of Data Science online degree is not just giving me additional skills, I think the real joy in it is being able to use it in my workplace.
Lachlan Sharp | Master of Data Science
I chose this degree to further develop my skills in working with data, including analytical reasoning and data visualisation. I feel well supported, especially from the Student Success Advisors that I have been in contact with since the start of the course. Additionally, JCU has several tools and resources that have been crucial in making me feel supported during my studies.
Simone Calandra | Master of Data Science
Speak with a advisor
Find out more about:
- Entry requirements
- Course descriptions
- Application guide
*All fields required
You must be a Registered Nurse (Division 1) or Registered Midwife with AHPRA to be eligible for this course.
If you’re not currently a Registered Nurse, you may be interested in our on-campus Bachelor of Nursing Science course.Learn More
We acknowledge Australian Aboriginal People and Torres Strait Islander People as the first inhabitants of the nation, and acknowledge Traditional Owners of the lands where our staff and students live, learn and work.
- © James Cook University 1995 to 2021
- CRICOS Provider Code 00117J
- ABN 46253211955
people downloaded a course guide in the last 24 hours.